Old November 25th 03, 08:24 PM
dahoov2

I am with Mike on this. It's wrong for people to ask for free stuff.
If they have it, they will give it. I have gotten some b/w headshots
from some people, but I've never asked. Besides, even if there are
Promo ones available, it's only if at a certain time, under certain
agencies, if they have any left. By asking for a photo, they may feel
they have to give one even if they don't have any or can't afford it.
It's just bad manners to ask I'd say. Now on some I've hinted (I hate
to admit this). If I cannot and I mean absolutely cannot find a photo
of the project or specific thing I am looking for, I will mention
that, but I would never ask... and I'll include something else anyway.
about 10% of the ones I've done that with (maybe 20 over my 8 years of
collecting) have actually sent me something I hinted at. Most don't
have the resources.

If some here set a precedent to ask celebs all the time, that could
END their decision to sign!

Lastly, by NOT sending something, you are totally diminishing your
odds of getting a sig at all...

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:55:29 -0600, "Gummby3"
wrote:

I really have to disagree here... This hinges on "the celebs owe me" line
of thinking. I have to admit that I thought that way years ago myself, but
the thinking is untrue. The only people that the celebs owe anything to is
the company that hires them to perform and the fans that pay to see them
perform (whether it's a live stage production or a movie). You are correct
that some do have promo photos, but it's wrong to automatically assume this.
If they are current hot stars, they may have company funded photos to hand
out. In my case, I like to write to more classic stars from older TV shows
and movies. A lot of them are retired or their careers aren't moving as
much as they used to in their prime. They can't afford to pay out of pocket
expenses for freebie photos or other give aways. A lot of these people
receive quite a bit a mail a week, if not per day. This can get expensive
very quickly if they give photos away for everyone. In my opinion, you have
to take this hobby seriously. You have to remember that you are writing to
an actual person and not just an image on the screen or a picture on a CD
cover. These people have their own lives that they live and families to
raise. They aren't just sitting around waiting for letters to show up. As
a collector, you have to be polite. Not just in the content of the letter,
but in the actual total request. When it comes down to it, the celeb is
doing you a favor by signing for you. I feel that the more convenient you
make the event, the better your chances of getting a success. They are
helping you out by adding their signature to your collection. You can't
expect them to also foot the bill for postage, envelopes and an item to
sign.

Please don't think that I'm jumping on you. I'm just expressing an opposing
view on the hobby. Not everyone is going to agree about everything. That's
nature. I'm just trying to provide both sides of the coin to new collectors
that may be reading this thread. I wish you continued good luck with the
hobby.