Old March 30th 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

Default PVC or not PVC? That is the question.

On Mar 29, 9:31*pm, "Michael Benveniste" wrote:
This wasn't exactly a shining moment for me in coin photography. *In
fact, I was blowing off a couple of shots of film using a very odd
combination of equipment. *(Nikon F100, Ektar 100, a Pentax(!) 120mm
f/4 Macro, and a pair of supposedly daylight balanced fluorescents).
As a result, the color balance of these shots is a bit off:

http://wemightneedthat.biz/Coins/185...ns/1853rev.jpg

That said, what about those spots on the back of this half-cent?
On the coin, they appear to just be dark spots, but on this
particularly shot, they look an awful lot like PVC. *The coin is
currently housed in an old green label PCGS holder.

What says the jury?

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. *It is held in reverence. *It settles

I think Mr. J may be right.

I'm sure that sometime during the course of your photographic career
you've been warned not to blow dust off of a lens. The reason is that
it is difficult to blow without spitting. Spit can be a problem for
lens coatings.

It can also be a problem for coins. Shortly before the coin was
slabbed, someone may have attempted to blow some dust off a the coin
and it was hit with spittle.