Old March 30th 10, 01:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

Default PVC or not PVC? That is the question.

On Mar 29, 9:39*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Michael Benveniste wrote:
This wasn't exactly a shining moment for me in coin photography. *In
fact, I was blowing off a couple of shots of film using a very odd
combination of equipment. *(Nikon F100, Ektar 100, a Pentax(!) 120mm
f/4 Macro, and a pair of supposedly daylight balanced fluorescents).
As a result, the color balance of these shots is a bit off:

http://wemightneedthat.biz/Coins/1853obv.jpg
http://wemightneedthat.biz/Coins/1853rev.jpg

That said, what about those spots on the back of this half-cent?
On the coin, they appear to just be dark spots, but on this
particularly shot, they look an awful lot like PVC. *The coin is
currently housed in an old green label PCGS holder.

What says the jury?

That type of corrosion can be caused by a number of things, PVC included.
I'd rather say that if it were PVC damage, it would be more evenly spread
over the surface, and on both sides. *Does the coin appear greasy or slimy?
That's a dead giveaway for PVC damage, but PCGS certainly would have known
that refused to slab it.

Possibly someone sneezed or sputtered on the coin before it was slabbed, and
it took a while for the damage to appear. *Regardless, it's sad for a nice
coin like that to suffer.

James- Hide quoted text -

Does PCGS offer any guarantee for copper (or brass) coins? If they
do, I would be inclined to get whatever benefit they offer ASAP.

In my experience people that want to keep copper surface free from
corrosion use dry nitrogen.