Old September 14th 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Default Need Help (Identifying) Korean Stamps

Hi Sapphyre

There used to be a publication called "Stamp Atlas" or similar which
contained all the stamp- collecting "entities" and their geographical
locations and historical context.

For instance Harare ( formerly Salisbury ) has at different times used
stamps of. British South Africa Company, Rhodesia, Southern
Rhodesia,Rhodesia and Nyasaland,Southern Rhodesia (again),Rhodesia (
again ) and now Zimbabwe.

Many other countries/areas have similarly confusing histories, and the
above book can help sort it out.

Also if you have a stamp you have a query about you can google the
inscription or part thereof + stamp - you would be surprised at what
information will come crawling out of the woodwork. Or just ask on this
or one of the other stamp forums - most of us just love to show off
what bits of knowledge we have - collectively the knowledge is awesome
- there is usually someone who knows or has access to knowledge about
absolutely everything philatelic ( and any other subject too sometimes
).

Don't be shy of asking - the only stupid question is the one you are
afraid to ask!

Malcolm

Blair (TC) wrote:
Hi Sapphyre

I'm glad that we could help you. The vario pages are a good
way to go. I use them myself.

New catalogues are expensive. A full set of Scott's will cost
hundreds of dollars. There are 6 volumes.

However, if you want to get catalogues inexpensively,
I suggest that you look at local stamp shows for used
catalogues that may be a few years old.

At stamp shows, I have purchased catalogues that
are maybe 5 years old for as little as $5 or less. I have
bought catalogues that are 20 years old for under $1,

The internet has many resources that can help
stamp collectors. Just ask here and many of us
will try and point you in the right direction.

Above all, have fun with your stamps. Over the
years I have met many collectors and have
become good friends with quite a few.

Happy Collecting - it's a fun way to continually
learn and meet new people.

Blair