Old February 13th 04, 06:16 PM
Htn963

(Peridote) wrote in message . com...
As a bookseller, just musing over the proper use of the word "tight"
in describing books. I assume it can be properly used for old and new
hardcover books. Does it only describe the integrity of the hinge
areas and page (signature) adhesion? For instance, can a book with
sloping spine, bumped corners, or a rip in the spine cloth be called
"tight", if the hinges and pages are firm? Would a book with undamaged
hinges, but a mobile looseness due to its construction not be called
"tight"? Can paperback books be properly described as "tight"?

I do indeed use the term "tight" to describe paperbacks with no
spine creases.

And when I consider a hardcover as "tight", I only think of the
hinge areas, with regards to like new/new books that haven't been
opened out all the way. Now if you've got marked problems with the
spine and corners which renders the book in much less than like new
condition, than methinks worrying about whether one can pep up one's
description with the term "tight" in this situation is nigh moot;
being forthcoming, accurate and thorough in describing these problems
should take a much higher priority and is of more concern to your
potential customers.

--
Ht