Old May 17th 05, 01:28 AM
Jerry Morris

(Jan) wrote:

Hello there
Since some time i am interested in the "Oxford English Dictionary" and
its history. Especially the differences between the "original" "New
English Dictionary" which appeared in 1928 and the re-issue from 1933,
called "The Oxford English Dictionary".
The title of the 1933 edition says, it is a "corrected re-issue"! But if
i have a look at both editions i can see no difference between them
except the number of volumes (from 10 to 12), the general appearance
(color etc.),the missing prefaces of the single fascicles which
constituted the 1928 edition and other little things. But if i take a
look at the single pages and definitions, there is no difference.
It seems as if the 1933 edition was printed with the same plates as the
1933 edition.
Maybe the "corrections" are just in the supplement to the 1933 edition?
I know that there are several book, dealing with the OED, but they do
not answer this question exactly...
Does anyone know more about this matter?
Thanks
Jan

Jan,

The "corrections" or omitted words are contained in the supplement. We
had a similar question in June 2002. I provided the last response,
referring to Jonathon Green's book, Chasing the Sun:
http://www.tinyurl.com/8kmk2

I forwarded your thread to Sandy Malcolm, my London bibliophile friend,
who, incidentally, purchased the OED set I mentioned in the 2002
thread. Sandy says the 1933 Supplement is technically a supplement to
the original 1928 NED, since it was sent free of charge to the
subscribers to the original parts. He also thinks the publisher could
have easily changed a plate or two to make minor corrections. He will
look for an errata sheet in his Parts, which would enable you to compare
specific pages to see if the errors were corrected...more to follow if
Sandy finds an errata sheet.

Cheers,
Jerry Morris

Welcome to Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7