Old March 30th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Parker and Misc.

Very curious. I sent the post below last night at 12:13 am, but it apparently
never arrived. While I am at it, let note that after reading Willow's post and
attempting to reply, I checked and found I do have a first printing of Parker's
The Godwulf Manuscript, ex-library unfortunately, but at least the real thing.

Francis A. Miniter
--------------------------------------

Willow Arune wrote:

Does anyone else out there collect Robert B. Parker?

I have recently started with this writer. The recent works, back to the
late eighties are complete but one wonders about strange items such as the
"Spenserian Sonnet" and more. "Spenser's Boston" looks like an interesting
addition. Aside from the books listed, are there more unusual Parker items?
(The first three Spenser novels just went of over $1000 on eBay).

It seems that with almost any modern mystery writer, most of the works are
easily found and for reasonable prices. Grisham, Cornwell, James and more
can be competed in days save for one, possibly two books - and those priced
over $1000.

I noticed a small trend, for a brief period writers from McCullough to
Cornwell to Nick Tosches ( a dear favourite of mine) and more all
produced... cookbooks. Must have been some publisher's bright idea. Kid's
books came up as a form for many - Follet and Cornwell for two. With the
exception of the first book, the worst books are often the hardest to
locate. C.S. forester's "Poo-Poo and the Dragons" was terribly difficult to
find in good condition.

Regards,
Willow

I do- collect Parker, that is. I am still looking for some firsts of the early
books. (Your comment explains why I don't have them yet.) Actually, I do think
that after the first dozen or so books, he had said most of what he had to say
and the subsequent novels just do not have the same drive to them. Spenser's
relationship with Susan is no longer in flux, he seems to have found a way for
them to be together and yet keep their independence, the cooking is not central
and the literary aspects and language play of the early novels are no longer
there. But he tells a good yarn, and that is basic to any readable novel.

Francis A. Miniter