Old November 27th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

Default Polishing lines?

On Nov 26, 9:42�pm, "don't look" don't wrote:

Thanks for your answer.
So,you are saying that there is such a thing as polishing lines from a die?
They are not like any cleaning lines I've seen. They all go the same way.The
lines also are not really visible in the devices.Only the fields.If they had
been cleaned,most of the frost would be gone as well?

Sounds like die polishing lines to me.

From what I understand the surface of the die would be wiped with a
polishing cloth. This would leave parallel striations in the surface
of the die, but only in the fields since the devices are recessed on
the die.

The die polishing lines would then be transferred to the surface of
the coin during striking, If the lines you see are raised from the
surface of the coin, that would confirm the diagnosis.