Old May 16th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Why doesn't "Nic a date" restore dates permenantly???

"The Space Boss" wrote in message
oups.com...

Reclining Buddha wrote:

I have found obviously nic-a-dated coins in circulation, with the date
still readable, so I have no idea what the googled information could
have been talking about.

right he
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...dd34bd6a24df0c

"In my paper route days I would occasionally find a dateless Buffalo
Nickel in circulation, and bought quite a few more at the local coin
shop for 7 cents each. I used to spend Saturday afternoons dropping
an amber-colored acid called "Nic-a-date" on Fair to AG nickels. This
afternoon, I found my 30-year-old bottle of "Nic-a-date" and restored
the date of one of the Liberty Nickels -- 1890. "Nic-a-date" leaves a
whitish area on the coin after you wash off the drop, and the restored
date tends to vanish before the whitish stain turns brown. Still, it
can be a lot of fun finding semi-key dates, even though the proof is
temporary. "

The first falsehood is the "amber" color.

Mr. Jaggers