Old June 8th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Anka

Default Backward, turn backward, O Time in your Flight

On Jun 7, 10:14?pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
I just had some fun putting together a timeline about things old. I
stopped, for now, with the beginning of the Roman Empire. But I went
back ... a bit. It's the table about a third down this page titled
"Ancient Timeline":

http://rg.ancients.info/lion/article.html

Among the really "old" numismatic facts: The one numismatic metal
*not* made in supernovae explosions is aluminum. The rest, gold,
silver, copper, tin, zinc, nickel, and so on, were all formed before
the birth of Sun and Earth through "explosive nucleosynthesis" thought
to last only seconds when stars larger than about eight times the mass
of the Sun exploded at the end of their life, shining more brightly
for a few weeks than the 100 billion or so other stars in their
galaxies combined.

The coins we collect are star stuff. So are we, though we were formed
in a more pedestrian manner ... inside stars. Gold, deservedly so, is
the most valued commonly used numismatic metal. Color of the Sun, and
stars.

I recognize that this timeline is Western civilization-, human-, and
Earth-centric. I should do another from the perspective of coin
collecting on Alpha Centauri's planets.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur:http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit:http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

Wow. Some time line. You must have read all of Will & Ariel. How
long did it take for you to put all of this together in a cohesive
form?

snicker
Anka