Old November 17th 04, 10:47 PM
Jon Doyle

Hi Jon -- I can tell you that it is VERY true that I sell higher dollar inserts
on eBay and leftovers (unsold) do make it to the shows.

But saying that aren't you just admitting that the stuff you have at
shows isn't as desireable as what you've sold on eBay? Perhaps that's
why you're not making as many sales at shows.

Recouping your wholesale cost is a priority! Waiting for the right customer to
buy that particular sketch card could take many months. Have you ever seen a
near-empty Auto Card binder (or glass case) at any given show? Stuff sits
around.

Back to the previous point -- the stuff that doesn't sell on eBay sits
around. I've been to plenty of shows where all the dealers have
autograph cases packed with the same cards. Few dealers stock anything
out of the ordinary, and few have harder to find cards on their tables
(unless it just happens to be a set that just came out).

That said when I do find a table with stuff on it that I haven't been
looking at all day I stop and look a little harder -- I know there is
potential for me to find something cool on their table.

As far as different product...that's why I bring older product whenever
possible. But, It's really hard to determine what people might buy at any given
show.

It may be difficult to figure out what people want to buy, but as a
dealer it's your job to know what you can sell.

As a collector I do my part-- when I find a dealer selling stuff I like
I make sure to email them what I'm looking for before I go to a show
they are selling at.

As far as selling at a show is concerned, I think dealers need to
differenciate themselves . . . make yourself stand out in a crowd of
people all hawking the same goods.

Jon