Old November 17th 04, 03:50 AM
MIKZCARDZ

Subject: Shows vs E-bay
From: Jon Doyle
Date: 11/16/04 7:20 PM Eastern Standard Time
Interesting. . .

I find 2 things going on, really. First off you can't blame the drop
off in shows to the internet. . . the drop off in shows occurred due to
the crash of the industry, mass closing of retailers and massive exodus
of promoters from putting on shows.

That said I think we are in a 'rebuilding' period of shows. . . more
shows are popping up and growing (at least in my (Chicago) area).

The other side of the coin is the internet vs. the show dealer. Yes you
do have to be competitive with eBay, but you also have to have product
available . . . many dealers put their best stuff on eBay immediately --
it never makes it to a show table. I can't tell you how few sketch cards
I see at shows because dealers put them on eBay right away. I can't buy
your good stuff from you if you've already sold it on eBay.

Also carry some different product. . . every flipping dealer at any
given show is selling basically the same stuff. . . This is what I am
going to miss a lot about seeing Mike from Barrington Square at shows --
you never knew what was going to end up on his table.

Just me $.02.

Happy Collecting. . .

Jon

Hi Jon -- I can tell you that it is VERY true that I sell higher dollar inserts
on eBay and leftovers (unsold) do make it to the shows.

Recouping your wholesale cost is a priority! Waiting for the right customer to
buy that particular sketch card could take many months. Have you ever seen a
near-empty Auto Card binder (or glass case) at any given show? Stuff sits
around.

As far as different product...that's why I bring older product whenever
possible. But, It's really hard to determine what people might buy at any given
show.

Glad someone else joined this discussion!

Mike
www.mikzcardz.com