Old May 13th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default 1796 B-4 Draped Bust Dollar -- Opinions??

Brian writes:

You're right that PCGS wouldn't slab it. Been there, done that, got
the bodybag to prove it. I'm a little surprised that you think it
would bring less than uncleaned VG money, because from what I can see,
the details are far better than that, even acknowledging the cleaning.

The cleaning will make a signifiant diffrence. In my experience, A coin
i n that price range will drop in value more than just a single grade,
but less than two grades. VG-8 has a high retail of $1500..perhaps a
typical retail now that Graysheet bid has increased to $1225.
Therefore, subtracting a bit more for the cleaning, I arrived at about
$1000.

Crianly a common date Morgan dolar in Fine miht be worth $14 and a
cleaned one $8..just for the silver. But for a high demand early bust
dollar, the value could well be cut in half.

As a I wrote, you might get a bit more, but cleaning is a major
detrrent to any bids at all from savvy collectors, so you'll attract
those with bugetary constraints or those not too experienced. $995 is
essentailly $1000, but psychologically, the under $1000 price might
well help to get the ball rolling. You decide.

Ira