Old February 26th 09, 09:17 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

Default Long-term storage of ballpoints

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
On Feb 20, 4:37 pm, "Jimmy" wrote:
"Mike S." wrote in message

snip

Or, more specifically - how to keep the ink from drying out?

snip
Any real-world experience here? Any better suggestions?

Mike,
I have always stored them point-down. The theory is, this keeps the
ball
inked, and the column of ink stays unbroken...

snip
Alan

Yes, pen refills from the 1970's made by Parker have a propensity to
last a long time, but not pen refills made in the 50's and 60's. One
trick I use to loosen ink in a refill is to hold it briefly over a
open stove flame a few seconds and then scrawl on a scratch pad
nearby. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not and then I discard
the refill in trash. Every refill is different as you do not know how
long they will last.

James

Dad taught me that scribbling on newspaper was best because it got the
ball rolling more times than other paper. If that failed, a match was
employed just like your stove flame, then back to the newspaper. If
that didn't work, the refill went into the trash.

--
~~Bluesea~~

The other method is to dip the metal refill point-first into hot water
for a few seconds. It should not be boiling - think hot tea temperature.

I've noticed that Parker and Papermate are both much tougher to write
with when they are cold than when they have been in a shirt pocket.

--
Alan