Old May 28th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default What makes a collection complete?

"RAR" wrote in message
.16...
Something I have been long wavering on. I have what I consider to be
complete sets of buffalo nickels, lincoln wheats,and walking liberties.
That is I have all dates/mintes represented. But i dont have the error
coins (1922 plain, 3 legged buffalo, ...).

So, while those gaping holes in the albums bother me, am still feel that
the sets are complete?

Any opinions on what "complete" is?

I agree with those who advise that "complete" is whatever YOU say it is.
That said, if you put your coins in albums, as many do, there is no
agreement as to what "special" coins the album makers choose. Whitman tends
to include more or them than does Dansco. But even Dansco has caved
somewhat in the last 25 years. Older Indian cent albums, for example, do
not have an opening for the 69/69 Indian; the current ones do. Older Dansco
buffalo nickel albums include neither the overdate nor the 3-legs; the
current ones include both. However, if you call Dansco and ask for their
rationale in including the overdate and 3-legs in the buffalo album but not
the 55/55 doubled die Lincoln or the 1942/41 Mercury dime in those
respective albums, they will give you some line about the high cost of these
latter two coins. Don't they know that you can buy both in nice AU for the
cost of the overdate buffalo in fine? It just doesn't make sense. And I
won't even comment on the inclusion of the 1873 large 3 over small 3 nickel
in their shield album.

Sorry, I got carried away.

Mr. Jaggers