Old August 2nd 03, 04:43 PM
Ian

Stephen Hands wrote:
"Ian" wrote in message

Darren wrote:

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:57:19 +0100, Ian
wrote:

Darren wrote:

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:00:15 +0100, Ian
wrote:

What's up Doc?

Isn't Darren a derivative of Darien...a rather ill fated South American
colony of scots, scuppered deliberately by those dastardly (bad) empire
builders from south of the great divide (which I would say is probably
Newcastle these days in political terms) :-)

You got me there... being a Turnbull from Newcastle...

Mind you I see Robert the Bruce of the Scottish notes... not sure how
well putting the Duke of Cumberland on an English fiver would go
down... But when you're English its not meant to be a problem right?

Now, that would all depend upon which Duke of Cumberland you are talking
about of course.

The one referred to on the famous `Cumberland Jacks' (aka `To Hanover'
tokens) might raise a chuckle on both sides of the border. We do
sometimes have similar sentiments to our English brothers. Methinks that
the current monarchy might take great exception to any Duke of
Cumberland appearing on any legal tender bank note no matter which part
of the realm it is issued.

You might be right but you know the point I was (badly) trying to
make...

It is alleged that the game of football originated as a result of a
group of english soldiers (under the aegis of The Duke of Cumberland)
kicking the dismembered head of a Scotsman about the battlefield.

Personally, I think it was more likely that it was one of the poor dead
mans testicles.

Partly right, the English had to look for an alternative because the head

was too soft.

....aaaaah! That explains it!! The head must have come from a total Berk!
Of course you already know that there were a good few Berks fighting for
the Scots too. It wasn't all down to the tartan army and a few heidrum
hodrum's, although history would apparently like to have us believe it
was a pure Scots vs the English thing for some reason.

It was an obvious choice as the scots only have one ball
(enlarged like a baboon's bum by sitting bare-arsed on thistles).

....and you were only allowed to do that on duly authorised tea breaks too!

Typical though, you fail to see the full picture. It was not only the
testes that were so affected.......

Whilst `sitting on thistles' may well have been the origins of why our
southern neighbours appear to be severely genitalially challenged in
comparison to the Scots, such origins have long since found their way
into the genetic coding. No need for us to be sitting on thistles these
days..

(Pssst...all those spam emails about how to to enlarge your
privates.....`thistle' is the active ingredient.) :-)

PS: Strangely enough the only `Nobby' Hall I know is in fact English. ;-)

Ian