Old November 3rd 03, 04:41 AM
Tracy Barber

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 21:32:11 -0500, "Frank Emanuel"
wrote:

"Tracy Barber" wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 01:18:46 GMT, "Bill G." wrote:

I'm with Dave on this one. When I was a kid here in the U.S.A., some of

the
big department stores had stamp departments. Not any more. In fact,
brick-and-mortar stamp stores have all but disappeared. Also, the

American
stamp publications all have declining readership. Here in Texas, the

number
of, and attendance at, stamp shows is on a quick decline. For example, I
attended a recent bourse in San Antonio, a city of one million

inhabitants,
and there were, maybe, ten other collectors there during the entire day

(not
counting the dealers). Young people here have zero interest in stamps.

The
same is true for 99.99 percent of adults, too. I hope the situation is
different in other states and countries.

Why are people using 50 year old standards for compiling their
results? I'm curious, is all.

A closet collector can pretty much sate their habit from ebay alone, none of
their peers needs know how geeky they really are.

You say that as if it was a bad thing...

Tracy Barber