Old June 22nd 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Mis-bound book values

michael adams wrote:

Stamps are printed on sheets of between 400(?) and 1000 (?)

[snip]

Presumably coins are manufactured in batches as well. And whether
articles are made in batches on machines, or singly, ceramics etc
clearly affects identification, classification, and subsequent
evaluation.

Those are all useful insights--though they don't perhaps really explain
why misprinted stamps are desirable and misbound books are not.

There is, e.g., plenty of research going on now (and for the last
century since Sadlier and Carter) on book bindings--for some recent
examples, see:

http://www.finebooksmagazine.com/iss...ml#Bookbinders
http://www.finebooksmagazine.com/iss...k_review.phtml

Perhaps something is to be learned from misbound books?

In any case, I return to my central point that there seems to be
something particular about defective items issues officially by a
governmental body.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com