Old January 12th 04, 05:37 AM
Tracy Barber

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:51:26 -0800, Eric Bustad
wrote:

Tracy Barber wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:31:30 -0700, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net
wrote:

Tracy Barber wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:24:15 -0700, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net
wrote:

Didier Cuidet wrote:

snip

I think that someone knowing your address has his computer infected by a
worm or a virus that copied his address book, and use random names in it
to send copies of it all around the world.

Thats why I use Netscape. Its not foolproof but the hackers LOVE
Micro$oft products and rarely fiddle with NS, or Mozilla if you prefer.

Hopefully, you're using one of the 4.xx versions, unless you have a
speed demon / RAM hog of a PC that can load / paly NutScrape 6.x or
7.x - they just hog your PC.

I used 4.78 until I was unable to load a number of different web sites
so I went to 7.1. Works like a champ and pics load fine, Java stuff
etc, all the new crud that 4.x can't. I've a 2.53GHz w/512mb RAM and a
high speed cable modem connection thru Comcast so pages load really fast.

Aha! So he does have a speed demon machine. Good. Try NutScrape on
a 1 GHz PC with 128 RAM. Most of the world has this or less. It'll
puke, gag and sputter until it loads 5 minutes later. In this
instance, IE makes mincemeat outta NutScrape.

I run only a paltry 400 Mhz K6-2 with 128 meg of RAM on RoadRunner,
but I've got the sucker optimized enough for speedy delivery. I don't
use NutScrape, is all. I use IE, Free Agent and OutLook. Why?
NutScrape tries to do it all and it doesn't look / feel right to me.
I'm used to the other ones.

At one point, I used "NetScape" until they bloated it. Unfortunately,
I can't go out and buy a new PC every time they ahve a new revision.
--- :^)

I will have a decent PC as soon as I set it up! (Lazy, boy, lazy...)

OK, we can now be returned to our regularly scheduled spam, blackball
and other sordid and sundry topics. :^)

I'm using Mozilla on a PC with 128 MB of RAM running at 785 MHz. Runs
just fine. Version 7 of Netscape is based on the Mozilla code, I don't
know what they added to it to make it run soooo slowly.

I dunno either, other than even on a 2 GHz PC, it still takes a good
amount of time to do things. honestly, I think they changed the SW
used to write the code and it bloated out on them. This happens when
new technology is ported in. I remember DOS database apps that would
run rings around 'doZe comparable apps. But - the overhead is
apparent in 'doZe as opposed to DOS.

I don't have the full story, so I can't comment on it...

Tracy Barber