Old September 28th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Stratum101

Default Bookstores Around the World (rec.arts.books) (FAQ) (IMPORTANTUPDATE)

On Sep 28, 9:22*am, "Stanley Moore" wrote:
"Lawrence Watt-Evans" wrote in message

al-september.org...

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:48:22 -0700 (PDT), Stratum101
wrote:

On Sep 25, 9:43 am, Evelyn Leeper wrote:

UShttp://www.leepers.us/evelyn/bookshops/na-sw.htmSouthwestern

I'd move Texas from "southwestern" into "southern".
It is culturally Southern and only a little over
100 miles from Louisiana.

Not all of Texas is culturally Southern. *Not all of Texas is
ANYTHING. *It's an absurdly huge place, and the line between Southern
and Southwestern runs through it, not along its border.

And what's 100 miles from Louisiana? *Texas adjoins Louisiana -- but
San Antonio, for example, is hundreds of miles from that border. *Did
you mean Dallas?

To me, Dallas doesn't seem culturally Southern.

I agree that Dallas is culturally "Texan" G not Southern. We are big and
diverse. Take care

This is the sort of silly boosterism that one commonly hears
around Dallas and Fort Worth, that is, that they're "Western".
In fact, the owner of one of the used bookstores in the
big ol' Metroplex, a place in Handley over on the east
side of Fort Worth, informed me that *California*
isn't really the West. Texuss iz, y'all.

I don't know how to argue with such unvarnished
ignorance. I will say as a guy who has read
just about all of Wallace Stegner and who has
spent most of his life in the Far West that
*we* know where the place is even if Texans
are geographically naive.

If you're in Dallas, pard, you're down in
the South.