Old May 17th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default I've bought a quarter dollar dated 1677.

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 May 2006 19:15:57 GMT, note.boy
wrote:
And it's genuine! Billy
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8419179124

Cool, but can I ask a question about the grade? The huge dent and the
detail would make me grade this at VG rather than F, is this just one of
those ebay grading things or do older coins get graded differently?
I'm using the look of the coin rather than any any specific grading
guide. But are the features on the back supposed to have some detail to
get a "Fine"?

Dave Hinz

Myself, I would grade it fine. Scottish coins during this era were
notoriously lacking in quality of striking etc. Notice the die crack on the
reverse, this is very typical of this era. The Scottish mint in Edinburgh
was closed because of scandals involving fraudulent activities on the part
of the mint with metals purchases etc.

Note.boy got this coin for a pretty good price, I was going to put it on my
watch list, but I am still in the proverbial doghouse for spending too much
on coins when I was in Asia last month.