Old April 18th 09, 08:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

Default Moldy book, is it worth trying to save?

On Mar 3, 9:48*pm, "Francis A. Miniter" wrote:
Teni wrote:
I have a first edition hard cover of My Friend Flicka. ...

The cover is mildly warped, the pages are dry and rather brittle,

,,snip
As to the binding, there are a couple of book repair sites
on the internet that will show you how to deal with various
binding problems. *As to materials for binding repairs, you
want to have pH neutral adhesives and tapes. *You can
usually find them at an art supply store. *One brand is
Lineco. *You can find the Lineco site on line and learn
something about their products.

I tried my local art supply store looking for archival tape and hinges
to mount a drawing with sentimental value. [Not enough sentiment
for me to have it framed by my preservation/restoration expert
framer, but enough that I was at least going to use archival
materials.] I asked for archival mounting materials and was
shown the selection in a display.

What I found was that they used "museum quality" materials for
the framing done in the back, but none of the tapes or hinges
they sold were archival. When I questioned this, they happily
showed me the archival materials they used and offered to do
the framing. But, they refused to sell me the archival materials.

After I complained that if I did the framing myself they were selling
materials that would ruin my artwork and that I felt this was a
corporate strategy to sell framing services, the manager gave
me a partial tape roll and some hinges from the back workroom.
I offered to buy a whole roll and a full pack and was told that they
are not in the system and they cannot sell them.

This was a big art supplies chain. I'm not giving the name
because this was a few years ago and there is a slight chance
that they have improved.

The important thing is to read the packages carefully to make sure
the materials really are archival - the salespeople may be clueless.
In my case, I believe they were poorly trained, not dishonest or
trained wrong.