Old October 30th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default Ecuador Stamp ID Please

Treacan wrote:
This stamp is somewhat similar to a Scott 776-786 1969 series(my 1999
issue is not in color and the details are hard to make out) It has a
similar map and the words Timbre Orientalista. Also Juno appears at the
bottom rather than at the top. The series is surcharged and are not
issued without, according to a note below.
Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...CF/Ecu-QQQ.jpg

My guess is that it is some type of revemue or tax stamp and
hence not listed in Scott.

If you look at Scott 776-786, you will see that the word Orientalista
WAS OVERPRINTED WITH THE WORD POSTAL. This would
imply that the Timbre Orientalista is NOT a postage stamp.

My guess is that it was mandatory/voluntary tax stamp with
the procedes going toward development of the six eastern
provinces of Ecuador (Amazonia).

The population there is only about 620,000 with two-thirds
of those being in the countryside and one-third in the towns.

Naturally the design is not identical, but this would merely
imply an earlier (or later) of revenue / tax stamp. It is too
bad that we cannot see a date on the cancellation.

Back in April, a lot of 41 various charity seals and other
cinderellas (including a 30c timbre orientale) was
offered on ebay for $3.00 US - hence value would be
about 10c.

I hope that this helps you.

Blair