Old January 16th 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
reality

Default PCGS and Their "Questionable Color" Ripoff

On Jan 16, 6:56*am, oly wrote:
On Jan 16, 8:29*am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

"Reality" wrote in message

On Jan 15, 8:10 pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

"Reality" wrote in message

What is the deal with this nonsense?

When I submit a coin to PCGS, I want to know if it is genuine, the
grade, and if it is original.

IMO if you are paying the supposed leading expert graders in the
industry a $30 grading fee plus shipping both ways, then their
"Genuine - Questionable Color" B.S is not an option. I'm paying them
to tell me one way or the other.

The color/toning is either ORIGINAL or NOT.

If they can't tell the difference, then what is their opinion worth?
IMO the grading fee should be refunded if their "experts" can't
discern the difference. It's a total ripoff otherwise.

Tell 'em we said to give you your money back. It's much less stressful to
buy coins already graded by PCGS (and paid for by someone else) than to
send
them your own coins and hold your breath waiting.

The point is, why should *anyone* get ripped off in that manner?
===========

If you do some homework first, you're less likely to get "ripped off".
Sending a coin to a TPG like PCGS can be a crapshoot unless you're someone
who's experienced with that sort of thing. *Before spending that money maybe
it would have saved any disappointment if you'd showed the coin first to a
couple reputable dealers who might have cautioned you about your coin's
questionable color and how PCGS might respond to it. *You didn't say if you
did submit the coin through a dealer or if you're a "member". *If it was
through a dealer, maybe you've got a gripe with that dealer for not advising
you as to what PCGS might conclude.

No one should get ripped off in that manner, and there are many ways to
minimize the chance.- Hide quoted text -

Bruce, your first advice was very adequate (i.e., buy a decent piece,
sightseen, already slabbed); that's not the game the OP wants to play.

oly

I was going to put the coin in an auction raw, and the advice given to
me was to have it slobbed because that's how most people want to buy
them these days. I'm not playing any games, and I don't appreciate
your silly insinuations.