Old July 11th 03, 10:03 AM
Bernard Peek

In message , Eric Bustad
writes
Barbara Roden wrote:
"Eric Bustad" wrote in message

Believe me, copyright in a book exists for seventy years after the
death

of

the author (in Britain and the E.U.). I've had dealings with enough

estates

to be absolutely dead certain of this fact :-)

How about a non-fiction book?

The same goes for non-fiction as for fiction: seventy years after
the death
of the author. If you create something - stories, novels, music, articles,
reference books, paintings, cartoons, whatever - copyright in the U.K. and
E.U. is death plus seventy.
Barbara

Well, 25 years did seem kind of hard to believe.

The 25 year protection is for the typographical layout of the book. If
an author dies in 1900 copyright on their text expires in 1970 but if a
publisher puts out an edition of their work in 2000 you wouldn't be able
to make copies from that edition until 2025.

Another thing to note is that copyrights on translated works are based
on the lifetime of the translator as well as the original author.

--
Bernard Peek

www.diversebooks.com: SF & Computing book reviews and more.....

In search of cognoscenti