Old January 2nd 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Padraic Brown

Default Fake $2.00 bill - funny

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 07:16:32 -0500, "Squat"
wrote:

"Daniel" dcxdanATyahooDOTcom wrote in message
news:xrydnTh07pWpUuranZ2dnUVZ_sGvnZ2d@wideopenwes t.com...
"Ukraina Dvi" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message

Subject: The $2 bill

I spend them all the time, I am in cahoots with one of the tellers in one
of my banks, she orders them from the Fed. Anyway, I have received
several comments lately from cashiers saying they are starting to see
more and more of them recently. Apparently they are starting to
circulate a bit more, which must be why we now have 2003A notes. I am
seeing less of the 1976 series, and when they do come my way they are the
worse for wear.

Yes, in the Metro Detroit area I get the same comments from people - "you
are the 3rd person today that came in with a $2 bill". And yes, recently I
got 4 packs of used $2 bills, with pretty much over half being 1976 bills,
and very worn, with the majority of the other bills dated 1995.

Ok,
I'll relate this story again. This is personnel experience from a
bar/restaraunt on 35thst & 10th ave in Mahattan.
I'm sitting having a beer with fellows from work, a black man walks into the
bar and orders a drink and lays down a $20 on the bar. The 20 in question is
one of the older ones with the small Jackson head before the feds revamped
it. The waitress picks up the twenty, inspects it and hands it back and
tells the man it is fake. At this point, I almost choked on my beer. The
guy looks baffeled. The other bartender walks over, looks at the twnety and
asks if he has any other money. At this point, someone from work asked me a
question so I missed th rest of the exchange.
I never figured out if the waitress was ignorant or racist but it was the
first time I have ever seen someone reject one of the older US bills.

Impossible to say. You don't know several keys aspects to the
exchange, so we can only be left to *wildly* speculate.

I think it would be unfair to charge the woman with either racism or
ignorance without a *lot* more information. It may very well have been
fake. For all you know, it *could* have been a deuce with "20"s glued
on to the corners. Could have been an obvious copy from her close-up
perspective.

Padraic