Old March 24th 10, 12:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default Halves still (randomly) getting confused as dollar coins

"Jass" wrote in message
I spent a half-dollar a couple of days ago at a taco bell. At this
point, I expect that every half dollar transaction will result with
the cashier assuming it's a dollar coin, but she didnt even have to
look at it to know what it was. I was impressed.

I know if I were less honest and broke, paying with half dollars would
be a great way to save money from all the people who think it's a
dollar.

Now, you say that that half-dollars are perceived as rare but really
arent. I dont know about you, but it's pretty damn hard to get them
from a bank around here.

Must be a regional thing. Around here they appear to be pretty much
available at banks if you ask for them. I've never found one that couldn't
come up with any, not based on asking but by seeing them in change trays at
teller windows. On the other hand, I would guess that they're extremely
rare in circulation almost everywhere, except in a few areas where
collectors like to play games with store clerks.