Old December 18th 12, 02:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default shoebox of - .10, .25, .50, 1.00

On Dec 17, 11:50*pm, oly wrote:
On Dec 17, 11:11*pm, Frank Provasek wrote:

SIlver coins withdrawn from circulation in the late 1960s (dated 1935
or so up to 1964)
are generally worth only their value as silver. *This link has the
current values. *A dealer will pay
about 10% less, and sell for 0% to 10% over these prices.

http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

If it's not a coin show or flea market weekend, I tend to look at the
weekly advertisement of "Covina Coin & Jewelry" in the classified
sections of NN (Coin World too, I think).

This week's ad (12/18/2012) on page 55 of NN says 23.00 times face
value for 90%; 9.0 times face value for 40%; both when spot silver is
$33.61 (at this moment it about forty cents lower).

This seems to me to be a small bump in the premium compared to a few
weeks back.

Now, I've bought a little from these folks; but never shipped them
anything. *So this is not an endorsement, just pointing out a regular
advertiser who makes lots of easy-to-look-up market quotes in a
regular list of items. *But happily, I don't have to ship, Springpatch
has a good market for silver - and I'm not selling any silver
anyhoots. *In the foreseeable future, the sky is the limit for PMs -
at least if priced in USD.

I'd generally argue with your % spreads Frank. *Very very few dealers
work it that tight, although some might. *You are trying to make it
all seem respectable, when of course it is a dirty, cut-throat, in-the-
trenches business.

oly

Gonculate a half dollar...
0.36 times 33.61 = $12.09 melt me
dealer offer $23.00 divided by 2 = $11.50
59 cents behind melt
59 cents divided by $12.09, times 100 = 4.88% behind melt (or 5% if I
round my numbers the other direction), a very tight spread if my math
is right...
Would guess this coin buyer has a strong premium bid from somewhere...

At the flea market last weekend, I got a bunch of decent to nice
Franklins for $12.50 and was happy. *Two months ago, the same guy sold
me unc/proof Franklins at $14.00 per.

The guy at the flea market pays $5.00 or less for his half dollars.
He shows me some of the deals he buys. He buys the coins from Widows
and from people who don't have a Red Book. After the transactions,
the Widows send him "Thank You" cards and small homemade cakes and
other baked goods. None of these snacks have contained any poisons -
yet.

oly