Old July 8th 03, 03:29 AM
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"marlinspike" wrote:

Yes and no. It depends on how many content-free form letters you
want to receive from your elected representatives:

But I mean, if I start mailing 4 a day, they will have to actually
read what I say, no? Actually, I have had decent luck before. I
asked my congressman about some stuff and he (well, probably his
lackies) sent me al sorts of info on the subject.

Depends on the Congressman and their staff, of course. My cynicism
got the best of me there for a minute. There are some good people on
both sides of the aisle in Congress, as well as idiots on both sides.
Unfortunately the idiots seem to manage to get re-elected fairly often.

As far as Senators from my state go, I always had very good response
from Paul Wellstone and poor response from Rod Grams, for example-
which might have had something to do with the latter's failure to get
re-elected. Martin Sabo amd Betty McCollum are also good responders.

A friend of the family who worked in a Senator's office- now I can't
recall which one, this was 30+ years ago- told me that once you've
written a third of fourth time to your official, they really do start
to pay attention.

So get out that fountain pen, get out some decent paper, make sure you
can write legibly and send 'em your opinions. Orange ink will
definitely make a statement.