Old August 30th 08, 10:54 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Default Day to day pen opinions

"Jimmy" wrote in message ...
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message ...
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message

I've got a nice MontBlanc that I use at home, but since it's a
discontinued model, I don't like to risk losing it. I own a couple
of the Phileas. It is great value for money, with a smooth nib and
generous flow. There is something "off" about the shape though; it
feels less than sure-footed. Too wide? Funny balance?

The brass half-lining makes it disturbingly top-heavy for me. I later
got the Kultur which is balanced better although it's not as
attractive.

I hardly use mine any more. I'd still recommend it as a good starting
pen. It's not too clunky unless you post the cap.

I don't post the cap and it's still too top-heavy for me. I'm sorry to
see them go because that was the pen I usually bought for others. We
need to find another best-ever fountain pen to recommend and give as
gifts to newbies.

Preferably one that won't be discontinued anytime soon.

Yes, it's a shame that it is being discontinued. I've given a few
Phileas to newbies, and they have been really enthusiastic. I've given a
few Pilot 78Gs, but you have to use them yourself for a week to make
sure they are *really* OK. Besides, they are discontinued too.

I would say "Pelikano", but mine was disappointingly dry. If it would
only write a bit wetter, it might be quite a pleasant starter pen.

Sailor 1911 Profit 14Ks are almost cheap enough. I don't know how
consistently good they are though. They also use non-standard
cartridges.

Yes, my Phileas recipients have been really pleased with their pens. I
also like to give pens that use carts that can be easily found. I've also
given the Waterman Ici Et La to women, but that pen's too small and
feminine-looking for me to give to everyone.

The Ici et La is a good suggestion, at least for newbie women, and seems
to be easily available. "Standard" carts are definitely an advantage, as
newbies can be reluctant to mess around with bottled ink. I included
converters with the Phileas, to encourage them to experiment. I think the
Ici et La is carts-only, unless Waterman do a mini converter.

Yes, I gave one Phileas recipient a bottle of ink and when she learned a few
months later that I was going to a particular office supply store to check
out a pen and buy a bottle of ink, she asked that I get one for her, too, a
different color.

A long time ago, I read that the Ici Et La will accept a converter made for
an older ladies' pen by Waterman, but I never found any and have since
forgotten the name of the other pen.

As it is, the Ici Et La will accept the short carts made by Waterman,
Pelikan, and Rotring. Others are a little bit too big. I usually give a
couple or a few of the 6-packs of different colors by Pelikan so they may at
least enjoy some of the colors the rest of us do, such as the Royal Blue and
Turquoise, sometimes with Pink and/or Violet.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.