Old April 1st 13, 10:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

Default PR: PCGS Announces "Plus-Minus" and "Plus-Plus" Grading

In article ,
wrote:

What about the first missing planchet error?
If upon re-submission it was determined to
be more missing than before would that be
minus minus or plus plus. Or something else
like The Big One For Real?

Uh oh, someone with a long memory ... I suspect that you are referring
to my April 1, 2007 r.c.c. announcement (which I edited for the 2013
announcement):

PCGS Authenticates "Missing Planchet" Washington Doller

(April 1, 2007) (API) (Newport Beach, Oklahoma)
The Perfessional Coin Gradin' Service (PCGS) has recently
authenticated and enslabulated the first-known "missing planchet"
2007-D George Washington Presidential Doller.

E. Ron Guff, PCGS President and Chief Toady, acknowledged
the company's excitement at being part of numismatic history.
"Mr. Floyd R. Turbo, of Greasy Goose, North Dakota, submitted
a U. S. Mint-wrapped roll of these coins for authentication and
grading recently", Guff explained. "Imagine our surprise when
we only discovered only twenty-four coins in the twenty-five coin
roll. Obviously, the twenty-fifth coin in this roll had been struck
on a 'missing planchet'. All of our graders and finalizers crowded
around the tray the roll was spread out on, pushing the coins
around to make sure that it wasn't 'hiding' under another coin.
One of the younger graders even got down on his hands and knees
and looked under the grader's workstation to make sure that it
hadn't simply been inadvertently dropped on the floor."

"After a few minutes", Guff continued, "we reached the unanimous
conclusion that we had finally discovered the long-missing King
Of Error Coins, the 'missing planchet' error. We immediately
created a special slab insert documenting this fact, gently
'picked up' the missing planchet from where we thought it would
have been in the tray, and sent it to the slabbing room. It was
formally enslabulated as PCGS coin number 123456789, a
'2007-D George Washington Dollar, Missing Planchet Error, MS-65'.
Unfortunately, it is not known whether this coin was not struck on
a lettered edge planchet, or not struck on a plain edge planchet,
so the potential for a Major Double Error remains hypothetical".

When asked how PCGS could assign a grade to a missing planchet
error, Guff explained that it was via the scientific method. The
other twenty-four coins in the submitted roll all graded between
MS-63 and MS-67, he stated, with the average grade being MS-65.37.
"We rounded down, to MS-65, in order to be conservative and avoid
the appearance of giving major rarities an extra point or ten ...",
Guff clarified.

When asked about other major errors that PCGS had enslabulated
in the past, Guff thought for a while and then enumerated his
favorites. "There was a 2000-P Sacagawea doller submitted that
had a very unusual toning. We subjected the coin to a battery of
spectrological and metallurgical tests, and determined that it had
received a special wash with Palmolive Dish Washing Liquid in the
Mint prior to striking. We slabbed this as the 'Madge The Manicurist'
variety. We also received a 1936 Bridgeport commemorative half
doller struck from a die that had been re-engraved by a mint
engraver to show P. T. Barnum with a mustache and a cigar in his
mouth. This was designated as the 'Groucho Marx' variety. There
was also a 1978-D Eisenhower doller struck on an Oreo cookie ---
we had quite a time trying to get that baby into a slab! By far,
however, my favorite is the 1972 Cook Island doller, which features
a Polynesian god on the reverse, which had significant die polishing.
We identified this as the 'missing testicles' variety", Guff said
with a smile.

"We look forward to authenticating and enslabulating additional
rare error coins in the future", Guff expounded, "and are eagerly
awaiting the submission of the next great King Of Error Coins, the
coin struck on an antimatter planchet. We've heard rumors of its
existance, but have never managed to get our hands on one for more
than a few nanoseconds, and even then we had to spend months
cleaning up and rebuilding the cubicle. Ah, well, maybe next year!"

##

The Perfessional Coin Gradin' Service (PCGS) is a subsidiary of
Coinsandstuff Universal (CU), a publicly-traded company listed on
the Mars Stock Exchange. Forward looking statements are pretty
much just figments of our imagination, and should not be believed
any more than the Easter Bunny or phrases like "consistent grading".
Your Mileage May Vary. Contents may have settled during shipment.
Void where prohibited, and in Wisconsin because we hate cheese.

--
Ken Barr Numismatics * * * *email:
P. O. Box 32541 * * * * * * website: *