Old July 7th 03, 06:24 PM
Eric Bustad

Pierre Courtiade wrote:
wrote :

FIP ????
.
How many collectors really carewhat the FIP does or for that matter
says ?
.
I would bet that I could go to any one of several stamp clubs and ask
what the FIP is and what it does and not one in a hundred collectors
could answer either part one or part two correctly.
.
And among the one in several hundred who could offer more than a
mumbling guess I have the feeling that few could cite any realistic
involvement.
.
So for the life of me I do not see what this organization does for the
average stamp collector beyond provide a slush fund for self declared
philatelic muckty mucks.

Charlie,

Agreed :-)

I could express the same opinion for my national philatelic association
(FFAP Fédération Française des Associations Philatéliques).

For an average collector like myself :
I am a member of a very small (~ 25 members) stamp club (at home near
Paris) not affiliated to FFAP and of a larger one (~100 members) near my
cottage in Brittany, affilated to FFAP.

The only add-on from FFAP (for me) is that the annual fee is 50 % higher
in the larger (and FFAP affiliated) stamp club :-(((

Where goes this extra money ? In a lot of different things I imagine,
but I know at least those :
- paying accomodation to FFAP directors or judges when they visit
exhibitions
- administrative expenses
- fees to the FIP
- promoting philately amongst youngters

I do agree with this last purpose, but they are not very efficient in
it.

I'm wondering what are your opinions on your national philatelic
associations ?

For the US, the American Philatelic Society provides a number of
services that are mostly listed on the web page
http://www.stamps.org/Services/index.htm. In addition, member clubs
have access to a library of philatelic presentations on slides and
video. I find it worth-while being a member.

= Eric