Old January 16th 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

Default PCGS and Their "Questionable Color" Ripoff

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 10:32:42 -0800 (PST), Reality
wrote:

My question is why didn't PCGS just say that their opinion was that
the coin was recolored? (They would be wrong BTW.)

The term "Questionable Color" covers a lot of ground, from chemical
dips through baking.

The problem that PCGS faces is that unlike other "no grade" codes,
it's difficult to prove conclusively that a coin has been recolored,
or recently dipped, or otherwise artificially toned.

Experts can and do disagree on individual items. More than once, I've
seen coins rejected as artificially colored end up in pristine slabs.
In fact, I own one. It's a 1904 Cent that's sleeping peacefully in an
MS-64 Red holder after a sojourn in a body bag. It's been 9 years
since it was slabbed, and so far the coin hasn't developed the
orange-pink color that I'd expect from dipped copper. But there are
also some black spots on the reverse which make me think otherwise.

So think of PCGS's "Questionable Color" no-grade code as saying, "we
won't stick a grade on this coin because we don't want to guarantee
it."

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Cogito eggo sum -- I'm thinking toaster waffles for breakfast.