Old November 29th 12, 10:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_11_]

Default "Mint no gum" equal or not with "MNH"?...

Ο "Terry Reedy" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
On 11/26/2012 7:46 PM, gogu wrote:
Good morning gentlemen!
A terminology question:
some times I encounter on eBay an S/S described as "mint no gum" and when
ask if it's MNH or MH, I receive the following answer: "it's not hinged
but
has no gum"!

With 'hinged' interpreted as a adjective describing the present state, not
hinged now, this seems as much as can be said accurately. The sheet might
have been hinged in the past and washed away, and the seller might or
might not know the complete history.

Sure, but he never said it's Hinged or Never Hinged!
He just answered "Mint no gum"!
AFAIK there are some S/S that are issued with no gum from the factory!
So how can I understand if this S/S was issued with no gum or lost its gum
some time later?...
His answer seems to me evasive...

This answer does not enlighten me a lot, since an S/S can be issued
originally with...no gum but it can also have lost its original gum for
various reasons, so it can't be regarded as MNH!
What is your opinion?

To my knowledge, MNH is intended to mean unused with gum as issued,
undisturbed. MH means gum disturbed, by whatever means, with hinging being
the most common means. Gum completely washed off is maximum disturbance
and worse than merely being hinged. Reasons for being washed include: the
item was glued down to mount it; it became stuck to other items due to
moisture in storage; it had multiple hinges; or the gum was of a type that
would damage the stamp. It can also mean the item is actually used but
uncanceled or lightly canceled and the ink removed.

So...how do I understand the state of the S/S based on his answer?!
To me, his answer is not clear (maybe intentionally...).

For items issued without gum, I hardly see hinging as an issue, as the
traces can be washed away*. Do catalogs mention when issued without gum?

I have a local catalogue not mentioning such info, that's my problem...
If you have Scott or Michel catalogue, could you please check for me?
It's Scott# B260 and Michel# block 26.
Thanks!

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/golanule/
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html