Old January 31st 04, 07:21 AM

Tracy writes; " .... 10) Mint stamps have not done postal duty. ....
[Nuff said] .... "
..
True enough about the lack of postal duty, but " ...Nuff said ...." ???
I beg to differ.
..
The glut of stamp issues, pretty pictures with little relationship to a
nations culture, history or postal need bleed the collector dry and in
many cases cause the disconcerting realization that a collection
carefully gathered and organized is worth less than the cost of the
mounts used to "protect" them when it comes time to sell.
..
The reasons given will be found in the other posts in this thread and
are readily advanced to devalue the sellers collection when s/he or an
heir decides to sell.
..
The sheer number of stamps issued each year by most nations is
staggering to the collector.
..
Feeding this "dragon" by purchasing mint stamps that will only reside
between the pages of an album encourages the issuing agancies to become
bolder and more inventive.
..
To mix a metaphor this "dragon" lays golden eggs that enrich postal
agencies, in my opinion defrauds collectors and frustrates new entries
to the hobby.
..
Those who buy and collect mint stamps from these agencies are feeding
the dragon. All that is accomplished is that the dragon gets fatter,
bolder and insatiable.
..
I collect postally used stamps of the world and reject the idea that
mint stamps are worth more, at least to me.
..
Gummed stamps that come my way and cannot be used for their intended
purpose are soaked and dried, then hinged and placed in an album.
..
Rather than being polite and letting this issue lie dorment with the
thought "Nuff said" I feel it should be shouted from the tops of your
pile of albums and debated in any serious philatelic discussion group.
..
Charlie Jensen

Live right,
Eat right,