Old October 17th 11, 04:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

Default solution for taking new stamps off paper

On 10/16/2011 1:47 PM, Don Levey wrote:

I've tried a similar method with US stamps, but many now are too thin
for that to work well. After soaking, I've sometimes able to rub the
adhesive off the back of the stamp, but even that isn't reliable.

I have had the paper in bare areas start 'rubbing off' before all the
glue was gone.

For
my kids, where the value of the stamp is in having it in the book rather
than keeping it in pristine condition, what I have sometimes done is to
let the stamps dry as much as possible and the carefully rub the
adhesive side with fingers coated in flour. The flour adheres to the
backs and makes them "un-sticky".

Corn start (or any starch) should work as well. It is finer than most
flours (which also are mostly starch).

I have used this to de-stick other things too.

Terry