Old August 8th 11, 04:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default scanning watermarks

"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message
"Pedro" found these unused words:

"Billns" wrote in message
On 8/7/2011 4:44 AM, Victor Manta wrote:
wrote in message
hello all,
I'm trying to get a decent digital image of a watermark with my
scanner.
My method is still not perfect although I manage to see the watermark
but
not very clear. I'd appreciate very much if anyone could help me or
provide directions in achieving this goal in a better way.

Thanks,
pedro

Found in the RCSD archive but Pedro won't be able to read this answer
due
his killing instincts:
--------------------

Hi,

After a little trial and error I've found a way to get nice JPG's of
watermarks.

1) Place the stamp face down on the bottom of a watermark tray (the
smooth
side) and saturate with fluid.
2) Place the tray face up on the scanner.
3) Set the scan margins a little bit inside the borders of the stamp,
so
none of the tray shows.
4) Scan at hi-res and manipulate the image as desired.

The images are very clear, although not as clear as in Scott, makes me
wonder if the wmk images they use are hand drawn or cleaned up somehow.

Anyone else do this?

--Bob Russell

------------------------------
What am I missing here? It looks like this will work only if the tray is
glass or at least transparent on the bottom. My watermark tray is all
black plastic.

Personally, I compare the watermark shown on the stamp in the tray with
the picture in the Scott catalog to determine what the catalog number
should be.

Bill

Hello,
Sit F. was probably talking about a transparent tray, like a petri dish,
for
instance. The problem here is how to obtain good quality images of the
watermark using a scanner. That will allow me to send the result via
email,
for example to discuss with other stamp collector fellows about which
watermark in the catalog corresponds to my stamp's. Many times watermarks
are not clearly visible, and identification could be very hard, but with
the
opinion of others perhaps one can have a better idea about which is it.

best regards,
Pedro

Digital camera or smart phone comes to mind ...

Yep but with macro lens and lighting accessories and something that holds
the whole equipment. Plus probably the stamp saturated in watermark fluid.

Victor Manta