Old September 19th 10, 10:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Today's Finds

On 9/19/2010 9:55 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
"Francis A. wrote in message

I had a very good day!

Staunton, The Chess-Players' Handbook, Second Edition

. . .
Sir Walter Scott, Guy Mannering (Boston: Samuel Parker, 1821)

. . .
Franz Boas, Primitive Art (Oslo 1927), excellent condition,

. . .
Upton Sinclair, Boston (Boston: Boni, 1928) first edition,

So remind us please -- where do you hunt?

In Connecticut. These were finds at a barn sale that a
part-time dealer in Glastonbury holds regularly to sell
those books he buys in bulk that he does not want to put on
the internet. He sells off at good prices to collectors and
dealers who are on his email list. Over the last five
years, this group has become like a book/social club. There
are 2 - 3 others in Connecticut who do a similar type sale,
but not as frequently.

Connecticut also has almost weekly library book sales, and
many of these books are donations from private parties. Two
Saturdays ago, for instance, three towns had sales with tens
of thousands of books. I went to one and sent my wife to
another. These sales are all listed on
http://www.booksalefinder.com/ , which I note has Canadian
listings. I see, for instance, that Mississauga had a sale
this weekend with 60,000 books. Yeah, that is a stretch
from Ottawa. But I see that by the Book Friends Store in
Ottawa is having a half price sale on October 2nd.

--
Francis A. Miniter

In dem Lande der Pygmäen
gibt es keine Uniformen,
weder Abzeichen, noch irgend welche Normen,
Und Soldaten sind dort nicht zu sehen.

Siegfried von Vegesack, "Es gibt keine Uniformen"
from In dem Lande der Pygmäen