Old July 24th 05, 05:31 PM
barefoot

am i still a collector since i do collect a lot of stuff...in fact, i
was asked at comic con why i don't care about the freebies at the
show...and i put it this way. i collect autographs, it may be my
profession, but if i collected everything else, i'd be broke. and to
that i will say this.
if i kept everything i got signed, i'd truly be broke. but i do have
over 2000 signed photos in my collection...ranging from my huge view
askew collection (kevin smith movie autographs) to star wars, lord of
the rings (i believe that i have the most autographs on any lotr
posters boasting 50 signatures on 2 different posters and 20+ on my
return of the king- no crew members other than peter jackson and fran
walsh) and all the incidental stuff from actors and sports people i
like. a lot of it can't sell or won't sell anyway. most of it, no one's
going to care about long after they've passed (does anyone know who
mike metzger is? or have 3 magazines signed by a band called girls
against boys-they were good at one time) i couldn't sell em if i tried
anyway. and even though, my large metallica collection is worth a bunch
of money, i don't think i could part with it if i wanted to. so even
though like 90% of the stuff i get, i sell. it wasn't always like
that...i still have the michael jordan signed photo that started it all
anyway (he also signed my cast on my broken arm at the time, which is
still sitting at my mom's house). and all the trips i've been on as a
result of autographs ( a few trips to new york, the countless all star
games and different golf tournaments. not to mention seeing EVERY major
sporting event in person- all star baseball games, world series, 5
superbowls, game 6 of the nba finals in phoenix that should have been
jordan's last game etc.) i wouldn't trade my collection for anything.
even as i start on my journey to doing something else. the past is very
nice and my collection really reflects what i've been doing forthe past
15 years.
mike