Old November 5th 10, 02:44 AM
ALBERT46 ALBERT46 is offline
Junior Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Colin McKenzie wrote in
:

John DeBoo wrote:
Blair (TC) wrote:
I guess that mounts and stockbooks
are the only viable alternative.

Which appears to be what the manufacturers want people to think.

When compared to the Dennis's hinges, yes. Besides, if they were the
exact same thing as the originals they'd have a green tint to them.
Dennis's are white. They only peeling Dennis's do is the paper from
the back of your stamp causing a mega thin at best, a hole at worst!

Not good news.

I think I'll see what's available in India when I go there next month.
If their motorbikes are anything to go by, I might get lucky.

Meanwhile, mounting my collection is on hold. I'm not happy.

Anyone remember if the old hinges had patent numbers on the packs? If
so the patents might reveal how to make decent hinges. I do remember
that the good Stanley Gibbons hinges had a spotty appearance.

Colin McKenzie

I remember some 70's era hinges that came in a green envelope containing
1750 hinges.They performed very well, but I can't rememebr the brand
name.
The 1750 hinge pack you are referring to are called EASY MOUNT HINGES. They were made by Honor Bilt, which, as I remember, was the name used by HE Harris Stamp Company. They sold for 25 cents !! I found a pack on Ebay. They are terrific for smaller stamps.
I know everyone drools about the old Dennison hinges. They were excellent, but let me tell you, I found better AND CHEAPER old time hinges. They are SCOTT HINGES, manufactured by the original Scott Publishing Company. They show up on Ebay from time to time, and the price is much better.
No one manufactures good hinges anymore. G&K and Dennisen are the worst.
Andy Navarro