Old November 8th 05, 06:59 PM
Tony Clayton

Default Whatever happened to peelable stamp hinges?

In a recent message Colin McKenzie wrote:

A few weeks ago, I finished my last pack of Stangib stamp hinges,
vintage probably mid-80s.

So I bought some new ones. They looked different from the old ones,
but I didn't worry about that - technology advances over time. All
went well, until I put a stamp in the wrong place and had to remove
it. The hinge was hard to remove, and took stamp fibres with it when
it did come off. So I tested another over a week, with the same
result. In 15 or 20 years, the product has changed from good to unusable.

I sent the hinges back to SG with a covering letter saying I don't
think they're fit for purpose. I await my refund.

Which sort of SG hinges were they? There are two types. One is meant
to be more peelable, and it is, but not that much.

I bought some Prinz mounts, tested them for a week, and found them
just as bad.

This appears to be a deliberate downgrading of the product to
something that cannot be used without damaging stamps (or soaking
them). I have seen it suggested that this is because
hinge-manufacturers also make plastic mounts, and want to promote the
more expensive product. I use plastic mounts for mint and more
valuable stamps, but I can't justify spending at least 2 pence on
mounting a stamp that may be worth considerably less.

You can always soak a hinge off a used stamp.

So, the question. Does anyone still make genuinely peelable stamp
hinges? Someone suggested Dennis's Hinges from Subway Stamps are the
best around, but are they good enough? And is there anything better
out there?

I still occasionally buy mounted mint stamps with the mount still on,
and when the mount is removed you can barely see where the hinge was.
That is the sort of hinge that is needed.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :