Old October 6th 10, 11:25 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Alan J[_2_]

Default Vanishing Point Trap Door Mechanism

"Shanks" wrote in message
On 30/09/2010 20:44, Alan J wrote:
"Shanks" wrote in message
Is the nib supposed to actually touch the trap door on using the
retraction mechanism ?

I had a close look at mine, and I don't think the nib does touch the
trap-door.
My guess is that the thin shoulder of the nib unit actuates the
trap-door, but I haven't disassembled the pen.

Mine looks like it touches and I notice that some people report leaks
on
or near the trap door. Perhaps the two are related. Can any other VP
owners comment?

The gold part of the nib is highly polished. You should take out the nib
unit, and inspect it with a 10x lens. If it has been touching the
trap-door, there will be scratches, as the gold is quite soft.

--
Alan