Old January 29th 05, 01:01 AM
DeserTBoB

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:26:10 -0500, (lennon fan)
wrote:

instead of the rivet it should just have a philips screw. I have some
that are like this, but they are more uncommon. snip

I looked at this, but there are caveats. First, there's not a lot of
wall depth into which to cut threads for a #8 self-tapping toggle
screw, so it'd be easy to strip threads. Also, you must use a
flathead screw, or the head height will be wrong if a pan head or
round head screw contacts the bottom of the cartrdige slot. Third, to
get enough torque to prevent loosening through use and handling, it'd
be quite possible to crack the plastic, which would possibly ruin the
cart. I've used such a screw to re-close one RCA, and tapped another
for a #8 machine screw. The toggle screw has already started to
loosen, so I used a dab of Loktite on it, and it seems good now. The
machine screw seems to be holding OK. However, by the time I screw
around with drills and taps, it's just as easy to use the soldering
iron trick to both open and close them. What's nice about using a
screw would be being able to open up and fix a balky cartridge while
on the road.

dB