Old August 20th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

Default (RCSD) India~ephemera ID.

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
s.com...
| These are not letterheads. They are "stamped papers"
| which are purchased by one of the parties to a legal
| transaction (eg property sale). The paper contains a
| revenue stamp imprint which covers the stamp tax
| on that transaction.

As a historical note, these are the type of Stamp Act 'stamps' which help
precipitate the American Revolution (or Rebellion, from the British view).
Of course, our own government later decided that revenue stamps on
documents were not such a bad idea after all.

I very much enjoyed your informative answer.

tjr