Old March 3rd 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Chris Charles

Default Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

Wow! I don't believe I've dealt with this seller, but after reading the
cranky and intemperate postings here, I don't think I'd be inclined to take
the risk if I could get the item somewhere else, even at a higher price.

FWIW, Amazon feedback in the low '90s is below the threshold for me and most
of the people I discuss such things with. I can understand why Powell's
might be there (if indeed they are), since their lowest-priced books
generally aren't really described and, although they don't come out and say
so, seem to be more or less "as-is"; you pay the low price and take your
chances. That's been my experience, at least, and it seems like a legitimate
practice since proper description and cataloguing cost money and thus
require a higher price.