Old May 19th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

Default Congress mandates use of "In God We Trust"

On Fri, 18 May 2007 21:05:19 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

I agree. There are things that can truly hurt people which are certainly
worth getting huffy over. To me, personal indignance over this IGWT issue--
either side-- ranks way way down on the list of things that need to be
addressed, unless one simply enjoys pontificating for exercise or extra
credit.

Much of it has to do with how important an institution you regard
coinage. If it's just bits of metal used to make and spend change,
then sure, what verbiage your country puts on it is of little
consequence. But if you understand that a country's, any country's,
coinage is a statement it's sending out about itself, to its own
citizens as well as the rest of the world, then the verbiage and
imagery mean a lot. If you're a coin collector, I can't see how you
wouldn't be in the latter group, how you would regard it as
unimportant.

"In God We Trust" is on coinage because of political pandering and
inertia. It's a violation of the First Amendment, a violation of the
doctrine of the separation of church and state, an unconstitutional
commingling of national and religious affairs. It's a motto you'd
expect to see on the coinage of an Islamic theocracy, not a Western
democracy.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer: