Old May 18th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

Default Congress mandates use of "In God We Trust"

On Fri, 18 May 2007 14:54:36 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

I have no beef, but can only summarize what is observable. First, "In God
We Trust" is a false statement, as it does not apply to all 300 million U.S.
citizens. Second, many do not wish the government to speak for them or
represent them with regard to personal, private faith. Finally, there are
multiple interpretations and definitions of Deity, even among those who do
believe in one, that one worldview is no more important than another, true
even if a particular one might be held by a majority. Under these
circumstances, the default value must therefore be zero. You are correct in
saying that IGWT does not establish a state religion, but for the reasons I
have enumerated, it is my opinion that it should not appear on our currency.

Bingo. And well said. I'm also weary of those who don't get it. But I
understand it. Religion has nothing to do with reason or intelligence.
It has to with faith, with believing despite evidence or lack of it.
In general, the more fundamental the faith, the less important reason
becomes. "In God We Trust" on coins in no different from prayer in
schools, at attempt to foist the religiosity of one group on the
whole. The Supreme Court over the years has interpreted the First
Amendment to mean more than the literal words, instead to mean that
national affairs and religious affairs should be separate. The
arguments for "In God We Trust" are just blatant rationalizations of
one of the most important founding doctrines of this country, this
separation of church and state, of religious affairs from national
affairs. "In God We Trust" on coins is hypocrisy.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide