Old July 22nd 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,alt.life.sucks,alt.music.nirvana
Bob[_4_]

Default Dipping

Basement wrote:
"Bob" schreef in bericht

Basement wrote:

"Non scrivetemi" schreef in
bericht
instonsmith.info...

Mr. Jaggers wrote:

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in message

I've heard that some dealers (mainly from the major coin advertisers)
dip coins. Supposely dipping is different from cleaning coins.

Dipping is a non-abrasive, chemical form of cleaning. It is doubtful
that many dealers actually engage in this practice, but often buy
cleaned/dipped coins at a dime on the dollar and then resell them for
80% of book, as they know such coins will never get into a respected
holder.

A year ago I

bought a 1934-2006 Lincoln cent set in a Dansco album labeled
1909-2007. I was missing 70 coins from 1909-1933. I've been buying
them from various dealers but wondering what the effect of dipping is.
I've read that dipping can make an ef/AU coin look UNC+. Comments?

Dipping, if done carefully by an experienced person, can result in an
improvement in the eyes of some, but not all. Even the top-tier
slabbers will holder a dipped coin if they don't perceive any damage.
Repeated dipping, though, eventually causes the coin to cross the line
to being non-slabbable. And only coins with a fairly high silver
content will dip out properly. Dipped nickel coins, and especially
dipped bronze/coppers almost always turn ugly colors after a short time,
if not immediately.

James

Admit it James Jaggers. Yer want me, and yer want me to have all yer
future children.

S.B.

You want to dip someone?

I'd be willing to dip my balls in his mouth if you'll take the picture...

--

I think we have a deal here...

I'm buffing my sack as we speak!

--

-Bob

"My fault,my failure,is not my passions,but in my lack of control of
them" -J. Kerouac

"All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a
philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce