Old July 21st 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,alt.life.sucks,alt.music.nirvana,alt.flame.niggers
Basement

Default Dipping

"Non scrivetemi" schreef in
bericht tonsmith.info...
Mr. Jaggers wrote:
"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in message
I've heard that some dealers (mainly from the major coin advertisers)
dip coins. Supposely dipping is different from cleaning coins.

Dipping is a non-abrasive, chemical form of cleaning. It is doubtful
that many dealers actually engage in this practice, but often buy
cleaned/dipped coins at a dime on the dollar and then resell them for 80%
of book, as they know such coins will never get into a respected holder.

A year ago I
bought a 1934-2006 Lincoln cent set in a Dansco album labeled 1909-2007.
I was missing 70 coins from 1909-1933. I've been buying them from
various dealers but wondering what the effect of dipping is. I've read
that dipping can make an ef/AU coin look UNC+. Comments?

Dipping, if done carefully by an experienced person, can result in an
improvement in the eyes of some, but not all. Even the top-tier slabbers
will holder a dipped coin if they don't perceive any damage. Repeated
dipping, though, eventually causes the coin to cross the line to being
non-slabbable. And only coins with a fairly high silver content will dip
out properly. Dipped nickel coins, and especially dipped bronze/coppers
almost always turn ugly colors after a short time, if not immediately.

James

Admit it James Jaggers. Yer want me, and yer want me to have all yer
future children.

S.B.

You want to dip someone?