Old June 17th 04, 06:04 AM
TomDeLorey

The "ding" on the edge is solder where a loop was removed. The coin was
probably worn on a charm bracelet. If it was intended to be worn as a pendant,
the loop would have been above the head, not below it.
As to authenticity, I just can't tell.
Tom DeLorey
..
Subject: "1874 $3 Gold - Looks horrible!" question
From: ^
Date: 6/16/2004 9:33 AM Central Daylight Time
I listed this item and thought the heading described it perfectly - the
coin is beat up, gouged and worn so I was expecting to maybe get the
gold value for it. Instead, it got bid up to $150.

Why would that happen? I know some of these in perfect condition go for
thousands, but this coin really "looks horrible" to me.

You can see photos on eBay at
http://tinyurl.com/3xnq7

TomDeLorey
-
Ben Franklin: "A Penny saved.....
"...is a CENT!" snapped Thomas Jefferson, back in the debate over the proposed
U.S. monetary system.